Sound Insulation Testing

What is Sound insulation testing?

From 2003, Approved Document E states that all new UK builds must undergo sound insulation testing. New builds must achieve impact sound test results of no more than 62dB (decibels) and airborne sound loss of no less than 45dB. Converted properties must achieve impact results of 64dB or lower and airborne sound loss of no less than 43dB. Approved Document E sets out details pertaining to the resistance to the passage of sound.
This Approved Document, as part of UK Building Regulations helps to ensure that newly built or converted houses and residencies, flats and residential spaces and other relevant buildings are constructed to minimum standards that provide ‘reasonable resistance to sound from other parts of the same building and from adjacent buildings.’
In order to comply with Part E of the Building Regulations, developments will require sound testing of separating walls and floors. Sound Insulation Testing checks for both airborne and impact noise travel. This may affect party walls and floors between new and existing buildings, or between properties within a new development.

You require Sound Insulation Testing if you: